Holidays are often time for reflection and thinking of changes you would like to make to improve your general wellbeing. I’m no different!
During my two weeks summer holiday in France I had the following list:
1. Learn to speak French before the next holiday
2. Learn to bake bread like the artisan bakers in France
3. Learn more about architecture so when I visit historical buildings I know more about them without a guide
4. Learn more about photography and take more photos at home
5. Learn the Yoga sun salutation to do as home practice when away from the gym
Eek it’s quite a bit to do list I created and it’s also very similar to last year’s list as well which did not get actioned. So I decided to park the list even before I got home and thought I would do something different this year
Like most people I am time poor, so I thought I would try getting up earlier and creating a bit of extra time for myself. I am an early bird anyway so it shouldn’t be too difficult – famous last words! When I first started personal training I worked some weird and wonderful hours and when I stopped the early morning sessions it was quite a relief not to have to get up quite so early. Now I have a schedule which is quite sensible. Not only that I have gotten into the habit of going to bed earlier as well. As I normally sleep like a log I’m usually well rested in the mornings and wake up a few minutes just before my alarm.
So what will I do with my extra time?
Well the purpose is to give me more time for wellbeing ‘stuff’ and resist the temptation to just start work earlier. This is very tempting when you run your own business, as I always have a big todo list.
• A couple of mornings a week I go to the gym before I teach my first Pilates class of the day. So an extra 15 mins would be a bit more stretching and a more leisurely shower.
• Take advantage of the fabulous light mornings we are having a get an early morning run while we still have the light mornings.
• Perhaps a quick wee Pilates session?
• Maybe some photography as early morning light is spectacular.
• Maybe having longer than a nano second to get myself showered/dressed and out the door.
• Some days it would be useful to have food prepared for lunch or dinner
• Plan lunches and dinners and write a shopping list
• Maybe a leisurely breakfast
• Or maybe just get up early and enjoy the peace and quiet!
What could you do with an extra 15 mins a day?
Let me know if you have any Post Holiday Resolutions and how you are getting on with them
Samantha Valand is the founder of Wise Women Wellbeing Academy.
A comprehensive hub of resources on hormone balancing, healthy eating and exercising in your menopausal years and beyond.